Saturday, June 25, 2011

Gardner Grub - Chopped Chicken Salad


About a year ago I posted about two of my favorite things - my Chopped Chicken Salad and getting a new Food & Family magazine in the mail. This salad is definitely my most-asked-for-recipe. Every time I make it for a get-together, the bowl comes home empty and I've promised several people that I'll e-mail the recipe to them. It really is that good. So in celebration of the dreaded heat warm weather I thought I'd share it once again.

Amanda's Chopped Chicken Salad
1 large head of cabbage - chopped
    (lately I've been cheating by using 2 packages of pre-chopped cabbage)3 bunches of green onions - finely chopped
3 stalks of celery - chopped
3 cups cooked chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces and cooled
3/4 cup slivered almonds
2 packages of Ramen noodles
About 2 tbs oil

Remove the noodles from the packages (throw out the seasoning packets), put them in a large ziplock bag and smash them into small pieces. Heat 2 Tbs oil in a skillet and add the noodles. Stir continuously until they begin to brown. 
This is a delicate process - when they start to brown it goes very fast.

Remove the noodles from the skillet and set aside to cool. 
Combine cabbage, celery, almonds and onions in a large bowl. Add chicken and noodles once cooled and mix all of the ingredients together.

Add dressing and mix just before serving.

Dressing
3/4 cup of Vegetable oil
5 Tbs rice wine vinegar
5 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper

Enjoy!!



1 comment: