Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gardner Grub - DIY Olive Garden Chicken & Gnocchi Soup

Olive Garden is our family celebration restaurant. Birthdays, Anniversaries, Graduation, Date Night, etc. We go to Olive Garden. Everyone loves it and it's relatively inexpensive. Plus, we usually get Olive Garden gift cards as presents which makes it free or cheap.


My favorite item on the menu is Chicken and Gnocchi soup. Those little dumplings are irresistible. 


{DIY Olive Garden Chicken & Gnocchi Soup}
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and chopped (I prefer to use a rotisserie chicken)
1 Tbs olive oil
4 Tbs Butter
4 Tbs Flour
2 quarts half and half
1 14 oz can of MSG Free and Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely shredded (I used my peeler to make thin ribbons)
2 minced garlic cloves
2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 tsp parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 box of potato gnocchi

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add butter and saute the onion, celery and garlic. Add the flour and make a roux. Let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding half and half.
Cook gnocchi according to package.
Transfer roux into a large pot. Add in the carrots and chicken. Once the mixture becomes thick, add the chicken broth. Once it thickens again, add the gnocchi, spinach, and seasoning. Simmer gently until soup is heated through.


Serve with buttered bread.

14 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous. I love all of Olive Garden's Soups, but I don't think I've tried this one!

    Thank you for joining voiceBoks Christian Moms Blog Hop! We're excited to connect with other Christian moms!

    -Jennifer
    http://imitationbydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!!! Gonna try it!

    - Anne

    wwww.mammamiachronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my sons favorite too! I can't wait to make it for him! I'd love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday and shared this recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through the hop, and am now following you.
    If you like hops, please click the link under my header for a page that lists over 300 hops, some for each day of the week. And if you know of some I'm missing, please let me know!
    Have a great day!
    NCSue
    In Him We Live & Move & Have Our Being

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love soup at any time of year. Sounds delicious, but as far as making it I think I'll wait for the winter, but I'm definitely going to try it at Olive Garden. Thanks for hooking up with us at our Recipe Swap Meet & thanks for sharing. Following you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love gnocchi and soup! As soon as the "fall chill" is in the air, I'm making this for sure! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Since I can't get to an Olive Garden here in South Africa, this will have to do! Can't wait to try it.

    http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!! Looks very good! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious. I pinned it earlier today and then so quickly about 10 other people repinned it :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm This looks delicious! This is one of my favorite meals- I can't wait to try it. Thanks!
    Melissa
    www.sweetcoconutlime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg...the 1st time o tried O.G.s gnocchi soup, I WAS HOOKED!!! Cnt make it there as often as I'd like, so thnx 4 this AMAZING recipe!!! I love soup ANY TIME...super excited 2 try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried it today, wish it was a little thicker... think i didn't do the roux part right. Taste great though, should come out better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so pumped about making this! How much whole milk should be used?

    ReplyDelete