Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Decorating Harvest Fest and 2011 Costumes

My church puts on Harvest Fest each year - a safe alternative to trick-or-treating on October 31st. There are bounce houses, cake walks, games, candy, hot dogs, frito boats, cotton candy, pop corn and lots of candy all for FREE! It's an amazing event for the community. My pastor's wife asked if I'd put together a photo area, of course I hate doing that sort of thing so it totally sucked :P

I couldn't wait to get started so I made a few sketches of what I wanted the area to look like and it came together just as I planned.



A scarecrow led the way.
 from Michaels (60% off with an extra 20% coupon). 
I painted a little wood plaque also from Michaels and hot glued it on.

 {details}
I painted these pumpkins white then distressed them with fine sandpaper and painted on the letters SVCC (South Valley Community Church).

Harvest '11 bunting
I cut burlap into triangles and used stencils to paint the letters then hot glued twine to the back.
For the Corn Husk PomPoms I used this tutorial from Centsational Girl.



My Ariel.



I also decorated a couple more sitting areas around the church campus.



 Sebastian & Ariel had a great time at Harvest Fest! Over 4 thousand people attended :)


And just like that October ended and today I started getting down my Christmas bins to remind myself what I bought on clearance last year and plan out my 2011 Christmas decorations. No, it's not too early. Now is the best time because several stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Kohl's) have Christmas decor at 50% off and in my opinion it's perfectly acceptable to listen to Christmas music all year long in November.

3 comments:

  1. What a great church event that sounds like! I love your photo area you did a great job, love the burlap bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo area looks amazing, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the cutest family! And your little ones are just adorable! They look so sweet in their costumes!

    ReplyDelete